Sunday, October 28, 2012

#13 Procrastination

What is it that keeps most people from staying on task and getting their work done? Is it the same things that our students face in our classrooms? Some people are very task oriented but most are just like me and struggle to stay on task and finish the work in front of me. I've learned that if I don't find the task relevant or pertinent that I place no priority on it and inherently wait to the last minute to get it done. Our students face the same things in school. They are not challenged enough to make the work pertinent to them or a priority. As teachers and educators I think that it is imperative that we change the way we look at assignments and grades and place the importance on learning rather than completing an assignment. If we make the information relevant the assignment will become of greater importance to the student and then the grades will come. So the next time we assign something we need to ask ourselves what is the goal of this assignment. The assignments mean nothing if they are not relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment