Monday, October 15, 2012

Miracles happen every week

For the past few years I have been apart of something that has changed my life for the better. Once a week I help coach a baseball team for students with special needs as part of the Miracle League. We have a brand new ball park off of Bob Wallace. My team the Hot Rods are children from all over Huntsville but includes 4 students from Buckhorn. The purpose of this league is to give kids who have been excluded from sports a chance to play. When I started helping out with this program I never would have dreamed that it would be something that consumed my life. For a long time I have been one of those people that looked forward to College football season starting each year and lived for it. In the past 3 years I look forward to Miracle League starting more than football season.

I tell you all of this because I went down there to help in hopes of making a difference in someones life. Instead these kids have made a difference in my life. I have always encouraged my students to come down and give it a try if they have time. Many students have come down to help thinking it would be a one time thing and found themselves there every week. I have seen students graduate and still show up to play and help every week because it changed their lives. Miracle League is contagious and if you come once you will come again and again.

This past Monday we finished up our Fall season with a double header. The first game was a regular season game against another Miracle Team. But the second was versus the Buckhorn Varsity Baseball Team. The team came in full uniform to the surprise of the kids. Along with team came other student organizations that brought food for a celebration after the game. It was the largest crowd in Huntsville Miracle League history with students sitting everywhere. The Bucks lost 54-5 but after the game said that it was the best loss of their baseball career. Its amazing how special a group of students can be and how a school can come together to create memorable moments for everyone. The picture is of everyone from BHS that were involved. Go Hot Rods and Go Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment