Thursday, September 6, 2012

Why I want to be an administrator

Why do I want to become an administrator? It definitely is not for the money or the title. It is all based on the idea that I can impact a greater number of students with my actions. Sure, I am going to miss the teaching aspect of it everyday. But I believe that I can make a positive impact on the lives of every student in the school rather than my 90 plus students each day.

I grew up the son of a principal and a teacher. I saw my father change the culture of a school and make it one of the top schools in the system year in and year out. At the time I had no clue how big of an impact he was making on that school and community. As an educator now I can admire what he did and the long lasting impact he had on the teachers and children he worked with. He believed that everything he did was in the best interest of the children. He walked his own path and everyone began to walk with him and not behind him. He has shown me the good and the bad of education. He has shown me that one person can make a difference and that no matter where a student comes from that they are capable of achieving great things. I always thought that being an administrator was dooming me to dealing with negative things like angry parents and misbehaving children. Turns out that I can choose to make them negatives or turn them into positives.

Choosing to become an administrator is choosing long hours and stressful situations that are out of my current comfort zone. But I look at it as choosing to make a greater difference on a larger scale. So bring on the stress and the long hours. I'll see you at the door every morning with a smile on my face ready to make sure that school is everything that it should be and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment